At Acton CEVC Primary School, we provide a broad and balanced curriculum where learning develops from:
- Trips, visitors and first hand experiences
- Curriculum days
- Stimulating learning environments
- Opportunities to create, perform and compete
- Making links between areas of learning
- Recognising our place in the community
"A high-quality science education provides the foundations for understanding the world...Science has changed our lives and is vital to the world's future prosperity, and all pupils should be taught essential aspects of the knowledge, methods, processes and uses of science. “ National Curriculum 2014
The aim of Science at Acton CEVC Primary is to:
- Develop a sense of enquiry and extend knowledge and understanding of the world;
- Have a creative approach to the curriculum, where links are made between science and other subjects, particularly literacy, maths, DT and ICT;
- Give children the opportunity to work practically and have the courage to make discoveries for themselves;
- Equip children with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
We offer a rich and varied range of teaching approaches to achieve these ends, always striving to challenge every one of our pupils to make the maximum progress regardless of their starting point, with an understanding that different levels of support may be required to help them achieve their goals.
Year 4 on Science at Acton:
"I like that we learn about human bodies, like our teeth and the names for all the different types and how we use them differently."
"We do quite a bit of writing, especially about rocks and plants on the Hot. I learned a lot about how rocks were formed and where to find the different types."